Sunday, June 24, 2012

Oh, um...YUM.


You may or may not know...and if you didn't, now you do know...I love coconut.  Well, don't just love...I LIVE coconut.  I use coconut body wash, coconut body lotion, coconut body spray...I love coconut milk, coconut drinks, coconut custard on my toast, coconut oil, coconut candies...coconut ANYTHING. So naturally, while on my mission to make pie, I decided to make coconut cream pie!



While I found this recipe online, after reading the comments on the recipe, I decided to change it up a bit.  So, while I will link the recipe at the bottom of the page, you will find that it has been changed slightly to make a tastier end product.


So, first things first.  I made this pie in the morning.  Therefore, I needed COFFEE.  Yay!!!

Okay, moving on!  :)

For the recipe, I used:
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 9 inch pie crust (I bought shortbread crust...YUM)
1 cup Cool Whip


To start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and toast a pan-full of coconut until it's golden brown.



Next, in a saucepan combine the half and half, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, flour, and salt and heat over low to medium heat.  Stir the mixture constantly and bring to a boil.  


Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract.  Pour the filling into the pie shell and refrigerate until firm for at least four hours.  


After the pie has chilled, top with cool whip and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of toasted coconut.


ENJOY!


Thanks to www.allrecipes.com for recipe and to the other site users who suggested replacing some of the half and half with coconut milk.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-coconut-cream-pie/


No comments:

Post a Comment